Sister Love

I used to wish I had a sister, the catch was: only if we were twins, so she'd understand me.  Clearly that isn't the case since I identify myself as an only child.  Funny, since that's not completely the case either, but I won't even bother going into that.  Anywho... Over time I've established various relationships with women of all ages and nationalities.  I recall years ago, I attended a Gospel Brunch at The House of Blues and as a friend and I dined between sets, we struck up a conversation with a Caucasian woman.  We laughed, drank, talked and at one point she addressed us as "sister".  I could tell she was a bit uncomfortable as she did not know if we would accept her as our sister.  We let her know, that her offer was accepted and we did identify with her as our "sister", the sudden heaviness quickly evaporated from the air and we continued our fellowship.  Throughout the years I've become more supportive of Women in Business.  Perhaps it begun once I found myself with my name on a lease, in the beginning it was extremely hard to accept that I was solely responsible for myself.  I began to admire those women who took it upon themselves to find their path and run with it. 
 
I find over the years the dynamic I have with women has changed, especially in a Professional environment.  The sad part about it is, men always want me to succeed when it comes to work.  Over the year's my various bosses saw my gifts/talents/skills and how I'd benefit the operation, yet the women always considered me a threat.  However, whenever I had a female supervisor they always failed to train me properly or had an issue with my attitude or some other petty issue to cause disharmony.  It wasn't until I was a few sessions into therapy that I'd finally accepted the thought that my greatest opposition has always been with another women, to the point it created a disorder (anxiety) and various other issues.  I believe apart of the reason I became overwhelmed by the situation is the fact; I try to go out of my way to support another woman.  No matter what the venture, I at least try to check it out and support if they truly believe in what they are doing.  I believe if someone shows themselves to deserve recognition it should be given, I mean, it's one thing for (some) men to disregard us, but it's a totally different beast when we do it amongst ourselves.
 
I'm not saying that we all need to be friends and skip off into the Sunset, however I am suggesting that we treat one another with honor, loyalty and respect.  I believe once we find peace within we will see the change our collective energy offers to the Universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment