"It's not about you"

"Most people are so stuck in their egos that everything revolves around me, me, and more me. But if you want to be rich in the truest sense of the word, it can't only be about you. It has to include adding value to other people's lives."

- T. Harv Eker, motivational speaker and best-selling author.

As I reflect on this past week I was reminded of a time not so long ago, I was completely selfish, self-centered and guarded. You know the saying "team of me"? Well, I was the coach and star player! My only concern was my own best interests in almost every situation imaginable. I recall my friend/sister who would say time and time again "it's not about you", honestly it went in one ear and out the other. If my life isn't about me, then who is it about? Right?

This week was rough, with the combination of the environment which aggregates the anxiety and being on the final stretch of my cleanse; I was ready to quit on Tuesday. I wanted to get my life back, rid myself of the headache(s) and go back to something else. That wasn't the only thing I wanted to quit, I was ready to stop my cleanse. In that moment as I felt anxiety reaching the level it was at the time of diagnoses, I wanted to give my body everything I thought it needed to be "happy". Then I took a breath, I remembered why I chose the course of action taken a week prior to the initial attack as well as the purpose behind cleansing. In that moment I remembered "it's not just about you"; true I made commitments to myself, but in addition I realized the anxiety gave me a voice. The presence of anxiety in my life as well as the effects it has caused makes certain people take notice, and more importantly; when the time comes I can speak my piece for the ones before and beside me being treated in the same manner. And perhaps prevent it from happening to someone who may come after me.

The week continued this way and I had to feed my spirit the affirmations necessary to push through it all. Then I wanted to eat, I wanted to end my cleanse prematurely because I wanted to give up. I'd felt as if I'd done enough, but enough for who? I'd lasted two weeks, why throw in the towel at the end? I understood the people I know battling health/weight issues and the discipline it takes to achieve their desired results must believe they can do it. How would that be impacted if I chose to give up?

At no point am I saying I'm a saint, or even that all of my choices have been easy, however what I am learning is; giving of myself and lending my voice, time, etc for someone who may not have one for a moment and seeing (some of) them embrace the same capabilities has been its own reward. It helping me get through the various issues that pop up.

No comments:

Post a Comment