Anticipating The Holidays

This past weekend I decided to take a walk with my son through my neighborhood, the objective was to get away from the television, video games, and computer and actually spend some quality time together.  I’ve come to enjoy our one-on-one time, where we are engaged in conversation and he’s able to share his thoughts with me.   As we walked and talked, we ran into someone I knew many years ago.  It’s funny because I used to work in the area, about 4-5 blocks from my home.  I remember I’d drive to work each day passing the extravagant homes and say to myself “I want to live here one day”.  I worked for an Escrow company and the gentleman I ran into was our mail courier, he’d come in each day obviously to deliver mail, but also to flirt and hold brief conversations before going off to his next stop.  He was so happy to see me and we chatted for a bit before my son and I continued on our adventure.  As we approached the shops on the busy street full of people enjoying their Saturday afternoon, we decide to stop for Pizza.  We were seated and enjoyed appetizers, apple juice and waited our food to arrive (2 slices of veggie and 2 ham w/ pineapple).   It’s something about the shops and restaurants in the area, there’s a sense of community and harmony.  As I watched the father with his sons stopping for a bite after some type of little league game and the family with their newborn out to dine for perhaps a first time in a while.  I was at peace in my surroundings.

As we finished our dining experience and proceeded to walk home, I decided that we could walk the opposite way in order to take a detour to the park.  I could tell he was almost as excited as I was and we headed to our destination with conversation ranging from school to exercise, astronomy, manners and responsibility.   As he shared with me his feelings of the arrival of his new brother (expected in November) , I guess a light bulb went off and he decided to ask me what I wanted for Christmas, he expressed that he had $35.00, but wanted to make sure to get something for me, his dad, his dad’s girlfriend and his grandparents.  I then mentioned his sister, and he said “yeah, her too I guess” lol.  I told him not to focus on the money, just get his lists together and we’d see what we could do.  I then instructed him to have his list ready by Halloween, I told him to put everything he wanted and to think of it as a “wish list”.  I explained that he could get everything on the list or some things on the list, but he should be appreciative for whatever he gets.  He was excited and understood the concept, mainly because we have that conversation each year.  Since he was very young I made sure to teach him the “true” meaning of Christmas and the value of family.  Although it’s good to receive it is honestly much better to give.  I shared with him how I am looking forward to decorating and shopping and all that is involved with the holiday season.  He doesn’t know it yet, but I’ll be looking into volunteering at Thanksgiving and Christmas so we can give to those less fortunate.

In expressing these thoughts I am reminded of why I love Christmas, for years I had forgotten because of the way society tends to commercialize it with Santa Claus and other foolishness.  Despite the argument of the true time in which Jesus was born, I appreciate the fact that the world is acknowledging the fact that He was born.  Along with the spirit of giving, goodwill, harmony, love, acceptance and other positive characteristics which are typically overlooked and forgotten during the rest of the year (by the majority, or so it seems).  I am looking forward to the holiday music and the spirit of cheer that feels the atmosphere.  If only everyday were a holiday and people we able to channel that energy all year long.  If only…..

No comments:

Post a Comment