Are Blessings Ever Disguised?

“What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise” -Oscar Wilde
 
A few things over the past few weeks had me thinking about that saying "blessings in disguise", I started to question for the first time how I felt about that statement.  I am not sure how a blessing could be disguised actually, I know to some that may seem naive or even quite stupid.  However, what is a blessing? According to dictionary.com here are a few definitions:
 
1. a special favor, mercy, or benefit
2. a favor or gift bestowed by God, thereby bringing happiness.
3. the invoking of God's favor upon a person
 
Provided a person is in God's favor, that would require them to have a relationship with GOD, right? So if you are in relationship and you are communicating, how could the favor, mercy, gift, benefit be disguised?  You should've seen it coming, perhaps it doesn't look the way you expected or it came sooner or later than you wanted it, but at some point you mentioned it or even asked for it.  So if you've asked for something and it is delivered, at what point is there a disguise? I guess we should then look at what a "disguise" is:
 
1. to change the appearance or guise of so as to conceal identity or mislead, as by means of deceptive garb
2. to conceal or cover up the truth or actual character of by a counterfeit form or appearance; misrepresent
3. that which disguises; something that serves or is intended for concealment of identity, character, or quality; a deceptive covering, condition, manner, etc.
 
I guess my inability to accept this concept is because I believe that everything in life, good and the unpleasant serves a purpose.  The scripture comes to mind "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 KJV.  In typing that I am reminded of a situation I found myself in recently, I prayed and began to meditate on my finances.  I wanted to make sure things were iron tight as far as saving, investing, budgeting, debt, etc.  Not long after I said that I was bombarded with unexpected expenses.  Initially I was upset and a bit overwhelmed, then it hit me, I am now placed in position to truly get my finances in order the way I prayed for them to be.  I got what I asked for, so why would I then turn around and say the blessing is disguised?
 
I also believe we may pray for things we aren't ready to receive or perhaps we pray for things and don't trust or maybe we just don't believe God will actually answer our prayers.  A few months ago I had a thought, it was "God still answers prayers, He just doesn't follow instructions".  I am now very careful with my requests, even in joking because they've come to pass and I was stuck with the outcome.  I can not express enough how powerful words are, like even to say the blessings of God are disguised.  To me that seems a bit selfish or ungrateful, like, you asked God to do something and it gets done then to say it was covered up or concealed. Which takes away from acknowledging the fact that God answered your prayer, why? because it don't come in the pretty bow and shiny box you expected?
 
I have become exteremly mindful of my requests, because I know some things that I desire I am not quite ready for and some things I think I want, I know once they arrive I would not be as happy as the fantasy of it all.  In the end I am thankful, grateful, appreciative, joyful and aware of God's blessings and favor in my life
 

No comments:

Post a Comment