If only it were possible

One of my favorite movies, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was inspired by the poem "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope. The piece which I guess inspired the movie states:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
Labour and rest, that equal periods keep;
"Obedient slumbers that can wake and weep;"
Desires compos'd, affections ever ev'n,
Tears that delight, and sighs that waft to Heav'n.

I remember stumbling upon it after it came out, I'm not sure how well it did in theaters, but even today when I mention it most have never heard of it. It's basically about a couple and the ups and downs of a relationship. Somehow the leading lady discovers a procedure where you can have all of your "unwanted" memories erased. Later, the leading man discovers this and opts to do the same, surprisingly there's a twist at the end. I won't give it away in case someone decides to check it out.

Anyway, there are days sometimes, it's just one and other times the thought occupies my mind for an extended period. I wish it were possible to have my memories erased and the hurt, pain and disappointment are removed from my thoughts as well as my heart. To be in an eternal space of sunshine, imagine that.

On the contrary, if that were the case what would I have to blog about?

No comments:

Post a Comment